Crown Square and Bank Road

  • The Crown Hotel – the original site of the hotel which gave its name to Crown Square is now a building society office. This was built prior to 1899. The Crown was a Wetherspoon’s pub just along Bakewell Road, but has re-opened as The Lounge Cafe / Bar
  • Crown Buildings, opposite the original Crown Hotel at the bottom of Bank Road, was built in 1889 and currently houses a cafe on its ground floor.
  • Post Office and Sorting Office. These were built prior to 1922.
Matlock Post Office
Crown Buildings
District Council Offices, formerly Bridge House Hydro
  • Our Lady & St. Joseph’s Catholic Church .(right) – built in 1883 with a presbytery added in 1896. The church was described as a ‘mission’, established under St Mary’s of Derby. A church hall was built alongside in the 1990s
  • Derbyshire Dales District Council Offices. Formerly Bridge Hall, then a hydro called Bridge House (established by 1861). In 1894 the Matlock Urban District Council bought Bridge House hydro for use as the Town Hall and added a large wing in the Italianate style to house an assembly room etc. It was reopened in 1898 and also housed most local authority undertakings, magistrates courts, etc. Following local government reorganisation in 1974, the Town Hall became the headquarters of West Derbyshire District Council (which later changed its name to Derbyshire Dales District Council). To enable the District Council to centralise its several offices spread over the district, the Town Hall was substantially extended in 1979.
Our Lady & St.Joseph's Catholic Church
Former Matlock Youth Hostel, originally the Smedley Memorial Hospital
  • Matlock Methodist & United Reformed Church – originally Matlock Wesleyan Chapel, and later the Trinity Methodist Church. The church was designed by C.O. Ellison of Liverpool, with additions designed by Horace G. Bradley. The neo-gothic church was originally built in 1882 without the slender steeple, which is now a landmark feature reaching above the roofs of neighbouring buildings. The Manse was built at the west of the site, fronting New Street.  It is now apartments.  The Old Sunday School below is now a B&B.
  • Old Methodist Church – the Primitive Methodist congregation was founded in 1838, although the current church on Bank Road, opposite the entrance to County Hall, was rebuilt in 1856 and the adjacent School Room below was added in 1878. Until recently, the Old Methodist Church housed the Matlock Wurlitzer.
The top of Bank Road becomes Rutland Street, which in turn, becomes Wellington Street
  • Youth Hostel – a YHA youth hostel – Built in 1882 as the Smedley Memorial Hospital. There is a later (Hunter) wing with a datestone of 1897 set further back from the road. The Youth Hostel opened in 1983 and closed on 30 September 2007.  It has now been converted to residential apartments.  Matlock is the the national headquarters of the YHA (now a modern building, Trevelyan House, on Dimple Road)
Old Methodist Church above Old Sunday School