Boarding & Guest Houses on Matlock Bank

LocationName Opened/Closed
Other Names
Wartime FunctionOther UsesCurrent Use (2022)Significant Dates and Notes
Steep Turnpike/Lime Tree Road
(Nos. 115-117)
The Mount Boarding Establishmentc1900 - ?Substantial property
_ _ _ __ _ _ _
Apartments & residential unitsc1900: The Mount was first owned by retired church minister J. Beaty Hart, whose wife was manager. Further details not available
Lime Tree Road
(Nos. 66-77)
Lime Tree View Guest Housec1857-1889c1857: Lime Tree View Guest House and Lime Tree Road were named after a mature lime tree*, which stood at what is now the junction of Lime Tree Road with Hurst Rise. The guest house was attractive, with French windows and a fine garden from where there are lovely views. It claimed close proximity to the hydros and offered the use of a pony to convey patrons to the Fountain Bath, Matlock Bath.
*Replacement planted in 2018 by MCA.
1872: Manager William Cartledge moved to Clarence House, Matlock Bath.
36 beds in
convalescent hospital
Convalescent hospital
1889: Became the Derby & Derbyshire Convalescent Hospital.
24 beds available for military personnel

Convalescent home:
(ii) The Lindens
1923: Property acquired by the National Association of Local Government Officers, for use as a convalescent home.
Residential units
Henry AvenueDaysmill Boarding House1906-1922Substantial property1906: Boarding house, at some point named Daysmill, built by JW Wildgoose for Jane Houghton of Nottingham. Features include stone bays, stained glass and decorative iron work.
Convalescent home for Teachers Provident Society
Golding House adult care facility1922: Purchased by Teachers’ Provident Society; and renamed ‘Golding’ (after the society’s secretary). Sister Eastland, ex-Derby & Derbys Convalescent Home, was appointed matron.
Governmentt offices
1950s: Premises occupied by the (then>) Ministry of Pensions & National Insurance.